Friday, April 13, 2012

Nursing School Continues


Here we are two weeks before the end of Spring semester I don't know why this is exciting considering Summer semester starts right after that but to me it is still the end of an era and a break (however small) until we start the grind again in the summer. This year was a real eye-opener from the fast paced knowledge cramming A&P course taught by Professor Massie to the periods of time where I didn't know what the heck was going on or which way was up.  I did my first 8 week clinical at a geriatric rehab facility and dealt with everything from cleaning, wiping, vitals, post hip, and post knees to having patients stroke out before my eyes (yes I apparently have that effect on people).

The 2nd 8 week clinical has brought around a completely different environment, working in a clinic. In addition to seeing patients we get to spend time with a mentally disabled adult group and offer healthy  teaching classes to them. I recently taught them how to make homemade salsa and it was a great experience. During clinical we only see patients that do not have any form of health insurance and this to me really makes me feel blessed and fortunate for our military health care. Sometimes Tricare makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a wooden spoon but they have been there for us non the less and we are very blessed. So don't take things for granted because there are so many people out there that are in need.  We've seen a broken wrist untreated in a little boy, imagine the pain! Kids sick with no doctor or dentist, tons of cavities. Underfed, over fed... Not even knowing what a vegetable is. There is a ton more but I won't go into all that just count your blessings, hug your kids, and be thankful for all God has given you. When you have excess blessings donate, and share.  We recently donated clothing to a local charity instead of throwing it away or trying to make a buck at our upcoming community garage sale. It feels good to help others, so go do it!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...